A plane crashes on a desert island. X people survive (within them, a lawyer and a muslim woman). There is a big part of the plane that will be used for shelter, but is filled with dead bodies. The survivors remove the dead bodies, and among them is a police officer, with a shot in his head, and his gun is missing. During the night, while everyone is asleep, one of the participants is also shot in the head (a child). There is a discussion about who has the gun, and the muslim woman is pointed as guilty by the lawyer of the group. Next night, the muslim woman dies and the gun is not with her. There is another discussion and the lawyer finds the gun around the plane, with all the bullets inside.
- 1.Stop using stereotypes while judging others
- 2.Thinking about the way decisions are made (finding a common ground)
- 3.Give some skills to the facilitator to mediate between cultures
Human Rights related
- article 2:Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty
- atricle3:Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person
- article5:No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment
- article 18:Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance
- article 19:Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression
Youth between 18 and 30 years
Check the plot.
- 1.Sound of a shot from a gun
- 2.Burka or something to hide the face for the muslim woman
- 3.Make up for the dead person (blood)
What did you feel during this game? Did you feel involved with your character? Why did you defense your character? Do you agree with what you did during the game? Did you emphathise with the lawyer?
Tips for the facilitators:
- Keep the discussion alive all the time, give freedom for your participants to see what they want to do, don't give space to the people who questions your interpretation, point the muslim woman as the responsible for the death of the child, find the gun with all the bullets inside and tell the participants, don't give your own opinion and feel free to change any of the rules to adapt it to your situation.